BEST TURMERIC SUPPLEMENTS UK 2021 BUYER’S GUIDE
Turmeric is one of the best dietary supplements used to boost immunity and treat inflammation, arthritis, fatigue, and more. They are available in a variety of forms including pills, capsules, gummies, tonics and powders. But the best one must be combined with other ingredients to be effective. Also, the main factors to consider in looking for a good turmeric supplement is its amount of curcumin it contained and how easily it can be absorbed by the body.”
Content Quick Jump
- BEST TURMERIC SUPPLEMENTS UK 2021 BUYER’S GUIDE
- Best Quality Turmeric Supplements On Amazon UK 2021
- 1. Nutravita Organic Turmeric 1440mg with Black Pepper & Ginger
- 2. VitaBright Organic Turmeric Curcumin 1380mg with Black Pepper & Ginger
- 3. Nu U Nutrition Organic Turmeric Curcumin 600mg Capsules with Black Pepper
- 4. Turmeric Vitality Organic Curcumin Capsules 1420mg with Black Pepper & Ginger
- 5. Supplemented Turmeric 2000mg 180 Tablets
- What Are the Health Benefits Turmeric Offers?
- How to Boost the Bioavailability
- Who Should Avoid Turmeric Supplements
- Best Quality Turmeric Supplements On Amazon UK 2021
Spices are usually used to bring flavour and aroma to a dish. Now, what is this spice that not only gives flavour and colour to our curries but as a supplement, can boost our health as well? The answer: Turmeric.
Turmeric ( Curcuma Longa ) is the most popular sub specie of the Curcuma genus from the family of Zingiberaceae. It belongs to the same family as ginger, zedoary, and wild turmeric.
It is better known as a key ingredient in curry powder. It can also be used fresh as in ginger or pickled. In dishes, it imparts a somewhat bitter flavour, and a biting at the same time earthy aroma. Turmeric has a golden yellow colour that lends itself to be used as a food colourant and dye.
Turmeric has long been used in Bangladesh, Pakistan, and India ( the world’s biggest supplier of turmeric ) in traditional medicine. In Ayurvedic and Unani medicine, turmeric is used to treat different skins conditions like chickenpox, insect bites, and itching. It is also used to treat liver disease, ulcers, inflammation, and diarrhoea.
In Europe and the US, numerous studies have been done about turmeric and its touted benefits.
Turmeric contains compounds called curcuminoids which gives turmeric its yellow colour and which also contain medicinal properties. The most important of these curcuminoids is Curcumin.
Curcumin is used in anti-ageing beauty products mainly because of its recognized anti-oxidant properties. It is also used as a food flavouring agent, and as a food additive for its orange-yellow colouring. It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial attributes that have long been utilized in Ayurvedic medicine. Curcumin is believed to have one of the best potentials among the spices used as a treatment against cancer. But that is just the beginning. As turmeric’s properties are discovered one by one, its wealth of benefits unfold before us as well.
That said, we have drawn a list of what we believe are the best turmeric and curcumin supplements in the UK market that can hopefully help you through the myriad of choices, there are to the product that is fitted for you.
Best Quality Turmeric Supplements On Amazon UK 2021
Nutravita, a nutrition company based in the UK, has come up with their own turmeric capsules. These turmeric capsules are organic and are loaded with benefits not just from turmeric but from other spices as well.
- One serving ( two capsules ) contains 1,340mg of organic turmeric, 80mg of organic ginger, and 20mg of organic black pepper.
- These turmeric capsules are made with high-quality turmeric which means that what you are getting is the highest quality curcumin. Added to this are equally high-quality organic pepper and organic ginger which would ensure the curcumin is absorbed well by your body.
- Contains organic ginger which is known to soothe sore muscles and ease the pain brought by arthritis. It may also help pain brought by inflammation.
- These turmeric capsules are vegan and vegetarian-friendly, it is unadulterated, has no fillers, no binders, non-GMO, and allergen-free. Further, all ingredients used are sustainably sourced.
- Nutravitas’s turmeric powder has been sourced organically from the world’s biggest supplier of turmeric – India, while the capsules are manufactured in the UK. Having gone through stringent checks and tests to assert the high grade of the product, Nutravita’s turmeric capsule is certified organic by the reputable Soil Association.
- Since being established in 2014, Nutravita has built a reputation for being a trusted brand of vitamins and supplements. The company has a dedicated team of research scientists, chemists, pharmacologists, and nutritionists who ensure that only the best and most healthful ingredients are sourced and used, which produces innovative and highly effective vitamins and supplements. You can be sure that these vitamins and supplements are as natural as they can get, as they do not contain artificial colours or flavours, free from known allergens nuts, lactose, wheat, and gluten. It is also GMO-free.
- This food supplement is made & certified in the UK and safeguarded by the highest manufacturing standards in the world (GMP, BRC).
- One bottle contains 180 capsules. At 2 capsules a day, this would be enough for your 3 months supply of turmeric capsules, a practical, best value for money.
- A bottle of VitaBright organic turmeric contains 120 capsules. Two (2) capsules equal one dosage which packs a wallop of 1, 380mg of Turmeric Curcumin. Only one dosage is needed in a day to enjoy the benefits of this food supplement.
- Soil Association certified that only the highest quality 100% organic turmeric, organic pepper, and organic ginger are used. The supplement also carries the EU organic symbol.
- Formulated with organic pepper to ensure optimum bio-availability. Studies show that they increase the absorption of curcumin and other nutrients found in turmeric.
- Formulated with organic ginger to enhance and optimize the effects of turmeric in relieving chronic pain, arthritis, inflammation, improve immune function, and reduce nausea.
- May help in post-work-out aches and for muscles sores and swellings to come down.
- The organic ingredients are encased in an easy to swallow vegetable capsule shell (HydroxyPropyllMethylCellulose)and is 100% Vegan.
- VitaBright’s organic turmeric supplement contains no allergens such as gluten, lactose, nuts, and wheat. It does not contain artificial colours or flavours, and Non-GMO.
- The supplement is made and certified in the UK under high-quality control and manufacturing standards in the world ( GMP, BRC ).
- One bottle contains 120 capsules, which is good for your two (2) months supply of Turmeric capsules, taken at 2 capsules a day.
- A bottle of Nu U organic turmeric curcumin contains 365 capsules. It is high strength and only one (1) capsule is needed per day, as it packs 600 mg of pure unadulterated organic turmeric.
- Only the highest quality 100% organic turmeric and black pepper is used in the manufacture of this supplement as certified by the Soil Association. You are assured that it is made under the strictest safety guidelines of the UK.
- Formulated with organic pepper which contains piperine which in turn ensures optimum absorption of curcumin, the most potent curcuminoid content of turmeric.
- May help to remedy muscle sores, the pain brought by inflammation due to arthritis, post-work-out aches and for muscles sores and swellings to come down.
- 100% vegan, most suited for vegetarians.
- Nu U’s organic supplement is Non-GMO and contains no a0llergens such as gluten, lactose, nuts, and wheat.
- One bottle contains 365 capsules, which is good for your whole year’s supply ( 365 days ) of turmeric capsules. A great boon since you don’t have to worry about having to remember to re-order month on month. Nu U’s organic turmeric supplement has you covered.
Turmeric Vitality specializes in one ingredient – Turmeric. A lot of research, tests, and expertise went into the formulation of this product which led the way to an outstanding food supplement which is not only good for you, the way it is made is good for the environment too.
- It is formulated with 100% organic turmeric, organic ginger, and organic black pepper as certified by the Soil Association. You can be sure that all ingredients are sourced sustainably.
- Turmeric Vitality’s organic turmeric contains high strength 650mg of pure, organic turmeric, 50mg of organic ginger, and 10mg of organic pepper, all encased in an easy to swallow plant-based vegan capsule.
- Turmeric’s bioavailability ( the degree or rate that a substance enters the circulation system of the body and is utilized), is very low. The piperine was found to significantly increase the absorption rate of curcumin from turmeric by up to 2000%.
- To aid in digestion and give additional health benefits, Organic ginger is added. Ginger is known to calm stomachaches, calm nausea, and ease chills and sore muscles. Its addition to Turmeric Vitality’s capsule would give potency to the supplement to help ease the pain brought by your muscle’s inflammation and swelling.
- It has no additives, fillers, binders, artificial colourings, or preservatives. You are guaranteed to be getting pure, unadulterated turmeric.
- Its Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Soy Free, and dairy-free. It is most suitable for those on keto and paleo diet.
- The supplements are made in the UK following strict GMP guidelines in an ISO9001 certified facility.
- Supplemented’s supplemented is different from most others in the market since it is in small tablet size ( aspirin size ) form, not in capsules. This would make it easier to swallow, decreasing the gagging effect that some capsule supplements may have.
- It uses turmeric root extract which contains which makes it one of the purest, and strongest Turmeric supplement in the market at 20:1 ratio, meaning 100mg of turmeric is equivalent to 2000mg intake.
- It may help ease the pain brought by swollen muscles and arthritis.
- It may help in the ease indigestion ( dyspepsia ) and in lowering your blood’s cholesterol level.
- It may help lose weight naturally.
- This supplement is made of premium grade ingredients, scientifically tested, and ethically sourced.
- It has no artificial preservatives, gluten-free, non-GMO, has no artificial colours, and no artificial sweeteners.
- Suitable for people who are vegetarian, vegan, or diabetic.
- Suitable for people who require their supplements to be halal, kosher, gluten-free, and lactose-free.
- Since it is in tablet form, letterbox friendly, as it comes in a slimline packaging which can slip easily through your letterbox. No need to wait for the package, or visit the post office.
- Made in the UK under GMP and under license in an ISO accredited facility.
What Are the Health Benefits Turmeric Offers?
1. Turmeric can help fight chronic inflammation
Inflammation is actually important in our body’s fight against microbes and in repairing damage caused by these attacks. And while short-term inflammation is beneficial, chronic low-level inflammation is not. This type of inflammation plays a major part in most if not all chronic disease like heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and cancer. Curcumin in turmeric is powerfully anti-inflammatory, thus it can help prevent and treat these chronic diseases.
2. Boost detoxification
Pollution, stress, and unhealthy eating habits can take its toll on our liver. Turmeric helps in the creation of critical enzymes that are liable for the detoxification of the blood that goes to the liver by breaking down toxins.
3. Strengthen the cognitive function
Reasoning, the brain’s processing of information and learning, are mental processes broadly referred to as cognitive function. Curcumin in turmeric can help prevent age-related brain diseases, memory retention, attention, decision making, and language abilities.
4. Supports joint and muscle health
The swelling and tenderness of one or more of the body’s joints are called arthritis. Again, this is a type of chronic inflammation that worsens over time, as the body ages. Curcumin in turmeric, with its anti-inflammatory properties, has been found to reduce arthritis symptoms including pain, morning stiffness, walking time, and joint swelling.
5. Improve mood and disposition
Curcumin in turmeric is a natural mood enhancer. Brain inflammation is associated with depression and Alzheimer’s disease. And because turmeric is anti-inflammatory, it does well to prevent depression and improve a person’s mood.
6. Promotes healthy digestion
Poor dietary choices can lead to stomach pain. Although frequent stomach pain should be best consulted with a doctor, the occasional upset stomach can be relieved with turmeric. The uncomfortable and acerbic stomach pain that comes from lack of exercise, alcohol consumption, and eating spicy foods can be eased by Turmeric due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which means that the stomach produces less flatulence causing acid. Turmeric’s goodness for the digestive system is such that may even benefit those with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
7. Aids natural weight loss
Curcumin in turmeric may help suppress the growth of fat tissue. This, coupled with regular exercise, and healthy food can aid in the achievement of weight loss goals.
8. Heal wounds and boosts skin health
Because of its antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric can help protect the body cells from damage caused by free radicals. This in turn brings a healthy youthful glow to the skin, reduce dark circles under the eyes, brightens the skin tone, and slows down the ageing process. It also decreases acne scarring, and ease eczema and psoriasis.
Indeed, turmeric has a wealth of benefits to offer. However, there are a number of things that must be remembered about this spice when you’ve made the choice to incorporate it in powder or supplement form in your diet.
Turmeric is not all about Curcumin
Although there are ongoing studies regarding the many health benefits of curcumin, the findings and attention given to it may give the impression that turmeric has no benefits at all without curcumin.
This is farthest from the truth, as turmeric has other components that contain anti-inflammatory properties as well. One study also showed that these other components could be advantageous for cancer and diabetes treatments.
The Bioavailability of Curcumin in Turmeric
The measure of how easily a substance can be absorbed by the body is called bioavailability. Turmeric is made up of only 5% Curcumin. Moreover, it has been affirmed that curcumin possesses very poor bioavailability – meaning a person can consume loads of turmeric, but most of the curcumin content( and its benefits ) would just be excreted by the body. This is because of its substance instability, poor absorption, fast metabolism, fast elimination.
How to Boost the Bioavailability
Although curcumin’s bioavailability is an issue, it would still be a waste not to take advantage of turmeric’s inherent benefits. Also, there are steps that could be done to address bioavailability:
1. Increase Turmeric intake
It would seem that the easiest way to reap the benefits of curcumin in turmeric is to eat your way around it. However, that may not be the case. For curcumin’s benefits to be effected, the recommended daily dosage would be 500 to 1,000 mg a day. Not an easy feat to achieve, considering that the average Indian daily diet provides 60-100mg of curcumin ( from 2,000-2,500mg of turmeric).
2. Take it with the black pepper
Another everyday spice- peppercorn, may help retain curcumin during metabolism. It contains piperine, an active component which gives it its pungency and rich flavour. Piperine also helps inhibit drug metabolism. This attribute of piperine can inhibit body enzymes that breaks down curcumin in the gut and liver. This allows for a higher amount of curcumin to remain in the blood to be utilized for circulation and metabolism. All our recommended supplements contain black pepper.
3. Mix it with the fat
Curcumin dissolves in fat much better ( liposoluble ) than it dissolves in water ( hydrosoluble ). Therefore, it is best to consume or take turmeric with a bit of fat. You can take turmeric with edible oils, avocados, milk, nuts, etc. The fat would help break down curcumin, making it easier to be absorbed into the bloodstream and dissolved and digested by the body.
4. Regular intake
Once you’ve decided to incorporate turmeric in your health plan, it is important that it should be consumed regularly and consistently. Whether you choose fresh turmeric or a supplement, it should be remembered that its efficacy could only be known, experienced, or felt after a period of time. As with medicines or other supplements, short, intermittent intake would most likely not yield any discernible results.
Who Should Avoid Turmeric Supplements
Of course, although turmeric and curcumin have numerous benefits and is generally safe, it is not for everyone. Before deciding on taking turmeric supplements, it would still be best to talk to your doctor. Turmeric and curcumin supplements are not advised for the following people :
1. Pregnant and Breastfeeding
The curcumin content in turmeric spiced meals is considered safe for pregnant women. As a supplement, however, it has certain risks. Curcumin might imitate the estrogen hormone in your body, thus affecting cramps and uterine contractions that increase the risk of premature birth and miscarriage.
2. People with gallbladder disease
Turmeric may cause gallbladder contractions
3. People with Kidney stones
Turmeric increases oxalate level in urine, which can bind with calcium and cause kidney stones formation.
4. People with bleeding disorders
Taking turmeric might increase the risk of bruising and bleeding in individuals with bleeding disorder since curcumin slows blood clotting.
Also, turmeric supplements may interfere with certain medications such as those medications taken for :
- Blood Thinners
- Iron Deficiency
Curcumin turmeric supplements containing piperine may also interfere with medications such as phenytoin (Dilantin- anti-seizure) and propranolol (Inderal- high blood pressure treatment, performance anxiety, essential tremors ).
It is undeniable that turmeric has proven itself to be very beneficial. A thousand years has not changed its healing properties for mankind. It is still best to remember that the recommended dosage must not be exceeded and that you should listen to your body’s reactions and response to the intake of the turmeric supplement. By listening to and understanding what turmeric has to offer, you will know if it is the right spice to add to your life.